This post-classic site was where the Spanish conquerors established their first capital in Guatemala in 1524. Iximché, a pre-Columbian Mayan site in the Western Highlands of Guatemala, located in Tecpan; it is known as the last capital city of the Mayas. The architecture of the site included a number of pyramid-temples, palaces and two Mesoamerican ballcourts. Excavators uncovered the poorly preserved remains of painted murals on some of the buildings and ample evidence of human sacrifice. The ruins of Iximché were declared a Guatemalan National Monument in the 1960s. The site has a small museum displaying a number of pieces found there, including sculptures and ceramics.